Sunday, October 11, 2009

Some things are in stereo

On the ship you are only allowed to listen to headphones with one in, one out in order to hear any important announcements. I like to listen to music while I work so I’ve had one in for a few days now. Tonight I put the other headphone in when I was in my room reading – my roommates could get me if need be – and I realized something: sometimes you need to listen with both ears. It seems a lot of times friction develops when we aren’t paying total attention. If we’re having a conversation and only waiting for our chance to speak – not really listening to the other person – a lot can be lost in translation. It really takes both ears – stereo – to listen and understand. I think that’s why God gave us 2 of everything – ears, eyes, hands, feet, etc – perspective. You can see with one eye, but you can’t tell depth – you can hear with one ear, but you’re going to miss something. Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment