Thursday, January 21, 2010

Hey Howdy Hey

So Christmas and the New Year (Microsoft apparently realizes that "new year" is an official holiday, thus: 'New Year") have both come and gone.You could tell what season it was around here, though on both days I remember remarking to myself - oh yeah, today's Christmas. Scheduling kind of pushed Thanksgiving and Christmas to the right a day to the last Friday in November and the 26th - no matter, really. The ship was blessed with over 40,000 pounds of mail on Christmas day (the real one on the 25th). In that bunch of mail and for the past month or so we've been getting Christmas cards from kids around the country. Very sweet indeed - these kids brought a lot of smiles and a warm, fuzzy feeling in the hearts of the guys around here - though some of these kids have a sense of humor. I would be remiss if some of these cards weren't immortalized in my blog. My own comments will be in parentheses ( ) Any spelling errors from here on out are just a representation of the card -I'm old enough to use a spellcheck.

Happy Christmas
Hi soldiers thank you for saving our country I wish I could see you in person beca well actually I wouldn't because I need to be safe have an urgent holiday Have a rockin holiday, Anber (the word "because" was started, not finished, then crossed out)

Thank you Soldiers
GO!!!
Your a soldier, yes you are.
You light our country like a star.
You guard our country, yes you do.
You keep our country good as new.
Well thanks for keeping our country in shape,
Do you ever use some tape
I wonder if you like squash.
Thanks, thanks, my name is Josh
Your Friend, Josh
GO GATORS!

Happy Holidays
Roses are red violets are blue
Candy is sweet and my mom and dad will protect me
And I hope you do that for me too

Dear Marines I hope next Christmas that you can see your famalies. I'm so sorry that you can't see them this year. L Now that I have said that, I hope you have an awesome Christmas. Thank you for saveing us from people comeing here and trying to kill us. You guys are awesome.

Motto:
Fight for the people
Save the people
SOLIDERS rock to the top.
Thank you from a fifth grader

Dear any soldier
Thank you for seving our country.
You'r the Best in the world J. When you'r in the hospital I will help others for you J. (And then she drew apicture of herself and two soldiers: one white and one brown - it seems being politically correct has seeped down to 5th grade)

End Cards

A lot of kids wrote "Thank you for saving our country" - I was a little worried some teachers out there were teaching an over exaggerated view of the current fight in Iraq / Afghanistan - but then I realized"Saving" and "Serving" sound a lot alike - and then everything made sense again.

Some Life Lessons:
Pencil doesn't show up well on red or blue construction paper
A Sharpie shows up well on anything
Girls really do have better handwriting than boys - even at an early age
Kids are pretty awesome in their own right.

I got a card from some kids in Florida. Their teacher provided a short message with their return address as well as a crossword puzzle - only problem is that I'm probably the worst crossword puzzle person ever. Practice in the crossword puzzle book from Em didn't help matters. So once I figure this thing out I'll send it back with a reply to Jacob and Breanna.

No comments:

Post a Comment